The Contemporary A Cappella League (CAL), founded in 2007, is a network of high quality contemporary a cappella groups comprised of working professionals. CAL was formed primarily to provide a recreational outlet for the graduates of collegiate a cappella groups worldwide.
Each league group is run independently; however, CAL recommends the following guidelines to maintain the quality of league groups:
1. Group membership is by audition only.
2. Groups are limited in size, but large enough to allow for members to occasionally miss a rehearsal or performance (8-20 members is the recommended size).
3. Groups can be any combination of males and/or females.
4. Groups rehearse an average of once a week and performances take place on evenings or weekends so as not to cause interference with regular day jobs.
5. Groups have a goal to become known in their community – starting with small performances at local festivals and events and building up to more high profile events and appearances.
6. Groups have a driving interest in continuously increasing the quality of their performance and reputation.
7. Groups are active in the a cappella community at-large, participating in CASA festivals and other events that promote vocal and contemporary music.
CASA offers numerous privileges, resources and discounts as part of the benefits of membership. In addition to the tangible benefits listed, most directors will tell you that the network itself is one of the most valuable assets of CASA and the League. CAL is a support system, bringing together newfriends from around the world, encouraging and promoting their musical endeavors and more.
Currently, the League has all-female, all-male, and coed groups located coast-to-coast, singing all genres of music. Visit the Group Directory to check out your local groups. If you don’t see a group for you, CAL is always accepting applications for new directors.
Interested in getting involved? Visit the League homepage today to learn more!